Monday, June 27, 2016

All of Me

As you probably know from previous blog posts, I am taking the summer to work on my health after being diagnosed with an inflammatory condition called costochondritis. This condition has caused a lot of physical pain and difficulty as well as caused some emotional difficulty for me. For more on this journey please read two of my previous posts, "My Health Story" and "Operation Me!"

Last week as part of my summer project to work on my health, I took a spirit flow yoga class at the Tai Chi Acupuncture and Wellness Center in the North Shore of Massachusetts where I reside. I highly recommend this venue as the space is amazing and the community is very supportive.

The flow class was too much for me physically at this time and I had to modify most of the poses. However, I still got so much out of the class. And this is what this post is about because on this journey of healing I am realizing it is about so much more than just the healing of the physical pain.

At the start of the class the instructor had us sit in a circle around a deck of past life cards and pick a card to open our practice. The card I received made no sense to me but she asked us to just keep the cards and think about them during our practice and see if the meaning came to us at all.

My card was the "nun or monk" card. Throughout the practice I thought a lot about the card and what it could mean but decided I must have gotten a card not meant for me. And I was feeling that all of this past life stuff was garbage (did I mention it was a hard yoga class for me?! I think my struggles with the poses rubbed off on my mood.)



At the end of the practice we sat in the circle again and the instructor passed around the book that describes each card's meaning. Color me surprised! I read and re-read the write up because I couldn't believe how spot on it was for me!!

To summarize the card stated that because of a past life I now have the tendency to isolate myself from others and that I might sometimes feel most comfortable when by myself. It went on to state that this may not be what I want and that it may be interfering with current relationships without me knowing why I tend to isolate.

Well, I have been struggling with introversion my whole life. As an adult (and a therapist) I have worked hard to understand and manage it. I definitely have the skills to not isolate yet I tend to do it even when I don't really want to. So while I may not be rushing to make an appointment with a past life regressionist, I am going to add working on connecting more with others to my summer project, Operation Me!

I am so excited to see where else this journey takes me!!





**Note for those with costochondritis or other chronic pain: Please, please, if you get anything from my posts, please remember to be very careful with any physical activity, alternative treatments, or changes in diet. Each of us is at a different stage of healing/pain and the pain can very so much from one person to another and from one day to another (as you know!). For this reason each of us will react differently to different treatments. Please make sure you are under the guidance of health care professionals knowledgeable about costochondritis or your particular ailment before embarking on your own journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment